1. a point located with respect to surface features of some region
- this is a nice place for a picnic
Similar word(s): spot
2. any area set aside for a particular purpose
- who owns this place?
Similar word(s): property
Definition categories: location
3. an abstract mental location
- he has a special place in my thoughts
- a place in my heart
- a political system with no place for the less prominent groups
4. a general vicinity
- He comes from a place near Chicago
5. the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another
- took his place
6. a particular situation
- If you were in my place what would you do?
Similar word(s): shoes
7. where you live at a particular time
- your place or mine?
Similar word(s): home
8. a job in an organization
9. the particular portion of space occupied by something
- he put the lamp back in its place
Similar word(s): position
10. proper or designated social situation
- he overstepped his place
Similar word(s): station
11. a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane)
- he sat in someone else's place
Similar word(s): seat
12. the passage that is being read
- he lost his place on the page
13. proper or appropriate position or location
- a woman's place is no longer in the kitchen
14. a public square with room for pedestrians
- Grosvenor Place
15. an item on a list or in a sequence
- in the second place
Similar word(s): position
16. a blank area
Similar word(s): space
Sentences with place as a noun:
- They live in Westminster Place.
- He is going back to his native place on vacation.
- We asked the restaurant to give us a table with three places.
- Do you want to come over to my place later?
- I'm in a strange place at the moment.
- It is really not my place to say what is right and wrong in this case.
- We thought we would win but only ended up in fourth place.
- to win a bet on a horse for place
- He lost his place in the national team.
- three decimal places; the hundreds place
- That's what I said in the first place!
1. put into a certain place or abstract location
- Place emphasis on a certain point
2. place somebody in a particular situation or location
- he was placed on probation
3. assign a rank or rating to
4. assign a location to
5. to arrange for
- place a phone call
- place a bet
6. take a place in a competition; often followed by an ordinal
7. intend (something) to move towards a certain goal
8. recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something
Similar word(s): identify
9. assign to (a job or a home)
12. identify the location or place of
13. make an investment
14. assign to a station
15. finish second or better in a horse or dog race
- he bet $2 on number six to place
16. sing a note with the correct pitch
Sentences with place as a verb:
- He placed the glass on the table.
- The Cowboys placed third in the league.
- I've seen him before, but I can't quite place where.
- Run Ragged was placed fourth in the race.
- I placed ten dollars on the Lakers beating the Bulls.
- They phoned hoping to place her in the management team.