1. (used when listing or enumerating items) also
- a length of chain, item a hook
1. a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list
- he noticed an item in the New York Times
- she had several items on her shopping list
Similar word(s): point
2. a small part that can be considered separately from the whole
3. a whole individual unit; especially when included in a list or collection
- they reduced the price on many items
4. an isolated fact that is considered separately from the whole
5. an individual instance of a type of symbol
Similar word(s): token
Sentences with item as a noun:
- Tweezers are great for manipulating small items.
- the items in a bill
- In response to the first item, we deny all wrongdoing.
- The exam has 100 items, each of which includes a correct response and three distractors.
- The first item for discussion is the budget for next year's picnic.
- Jack and Jill are an item.
- an item concerning the weather