1. the unlimited expanse in which everything is located
- they tested his ability to locate objects in space
Similar word(s): infinite
2. an empty area (usually bounded in some way between things)
- the architect left space in front of the building
- they stopped at an open space in the jungle
- the space between his teeth
3. an area reserved for some particular purpose
- the laboratory's floor space
4. any location outside the Earth's atmosphere
- the astronauts walked in outer space without a tether
- the first major milestone in space exploration was in 1957, when the USSR's Sputnik 1 orbited the Earth
5. a blank character used to separate successive words in writing or printing
- he said the space is the most important character in the alphabet
Similar word(s): blank
6. the interval between two times
- it all happened in the space of 10 minutes
Similar word(s): distance
7. a blank area
- write your name in the space provided
Similar word(s): place
8. one of the areas between or below or above the lines of a musical staff
- the spaces are the notes F-A-C-E
9. (printing) a block of type without a raised letter; used for spacing between words or sentences
Similar word(s): quad
Definition categories: man–made, type
Sentences with space as a noun:
- Functional analysis is best approached through a sound knowledge of Hilbert space theory.
- innovation in the browser space
1. place at intervals
- Space the interviews so that you have some time between the different candidates
Sentences with space as a verb:
- Faye had spaced the pots at 8-inch intervals on the windowsill.
- The cities are evenly spaced.
- This paragraph seems badly spaced.
- The captain spaced the traitors.