1. a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography)
- it was a mountainous area
Similar word(s): country
2. a subject of study
- it was his area of specialization
- areas of interest include...
3. a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve
Similar word(s): region
Definition categories: body
4. a particular environment or walk of life
- it was a closed area of employment
5. a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function
- the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants
6. the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary
- the area of a rectangle
- it was about 500 square feet in area
Similar word(s): expanse
Sentences with area as a noun:
- The photo is a little dark in that area.
- The plans are a bit vague in that area.