1. a subdivision of a particular kind of thing
- what type of sculpture do you prefer?
2. a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
- the capable type
3. (biology) the taxonomic group whose characteristics are used to define the next higher taxon
4. printed characters
- small type is hard to read
5. all of the tokens of the same symbol
- the word `element' contains five different types of character
6. a small metal block bearing a raised character on one end; produces a printed character when inked and pressed on paper
- he dropped a case of type, so they made him pick them up
Definition categories: man–made, block
Sentences with type as a noun:
- This type of plane can handle rough weather more easily than that type of plane.
- The headline was set in bold type.
- the type of a genus, family, etc.
- We can't get along: he's just not my type.
- He was exactly her type.
- The fundamental types used to express the simplest and most essential chemical relations are hydrochloric acid, water, ammonia, and methane.
- Categorial grammar is like a combination of context-free grammar and types.
1. write by means of a keyboard with types
- type the acceptance letter, please
Similar word(s): typewrite
2. identify as belonging to a certain type
- Such people can practically be typed
Similar word(s): typecast
Sentences with type as a verb:
- The doctor ordered the lab to type the patient for a blood transfusion.