Words that End in U
Ending in AU
Ending in BU
Ending in CU
Ending in DU
Ending in EU
Ending in FU
Ending in GU
Ending in HU
Ending in JU
Ending in KU
Ending in LU
Ending in MU
Ending in NU
Ending in OU
Ending in PU
Ending in RU
Ending in SU
Ending in TU
Ending in UU
Ending in XU
Ending in YU
Ending in ZU
Words that End in U
The letter U has four different pronunciations, making countless of rhymes possible. So whether you are writing a poem or song, it would be useful to know words that end in U. Below there are some popular categories and examples of words ending in U, such as animals, places, and adjectives.
Animals that end in U
- Caribou: Arctic deer with large antlers in both sexes; called `reindeer’ in Eurasia and `caribou’ in North America
- It seemed like there was a tree growing on the caribou’s head.
- Tamandu: small toothless anteater with prehensile tail and four-clawed forelimbs; of tropical South America and Central America
- The black fur on the tamadu’s back seemed to form a little fur vest for him.
- Carcajou: stocky shaggy-coated North American carnivorous mammal
- I thought that the carcajou was a baby bear!
Places that end in U
- Purlieu: an outer adjacent area of any place
- I was excited when the purlieus of the university were visible on the hilltop.
Words that describe people
- Parvenu: characteristic of someone who has risen economically or socially but lacks the social skills appropriate for this new position
- Though she was as rich as them, the parvenu housewife could not fit in with the other moms at school.
- Pilau: (Hawaii, slang) filthy
- The pilau homeless man looked nothing like the ones in the pictures.
Words that describe an idea
- Impromptu: with little or no preparation or forethought
- His impromptu idea for the desert was a hit with the kids.
- Snafu: snarled or stalled in complete confusion
- They couldn’t figure out how to tell the boss that it was a snafu idea.
Words that describe a place/event
- Bijou: intricate; finely made
- The warehouse was the perfect place for the bijou fashion show.
- Ormolu: Made from golden or gilded brass or bronze.
- The shiny ornolu gates surrounding the mansion were nothing like I had imagined.