1. the property created by the space between two objects or points
2. a distant region
- I could see it in the distance
3. size of the gap between two places
- the distance from New York to Chicago
Similar word(s): length
4. indifference by personal withdrawal
- emotional distance
Similar word(s): aloofness
5. the interval between two times
- the distance from birth to death
Similar word(s): space
6. a remote point in time
- if that happens it will be at some distance in the future
- at a distance of ten years he had forgotten many of the details
Sentences with distance as a noun:
- The distance to Petersborough is thirty miles. There is a long distance between Moscow and Vladivostok.
- We're narrowing the distance between the two versions of the bill. The distance between the lowest and next gear on my bicycle is annoying.
- the distance between a descendant and his ancestor
- He had promised to perform this task, but did not go the distance.
- The friendship did not survive the row: they kept each other at a distance.
1. keep at a distance
- we have to distance ourselves from these events in order to continue living
2. go far ahead of
- He outdistanced the other runners
Definition categories: motion
Sentences with distance as a verb:
- He distanced himself from the comments made by some of his colleagues.