1. Fractional; partial.
- Fred was part owner of the car.
1. to some extent; in some degree; not wholly
- I felt partly to blame
- He was partially paralyzed
Sentences with part as an adverb:
- Part finished
1. something determined in relation to something that includes it
- he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself
2. something less than the whole of a human artifact
- the rear part of the house
- glue the two parts together
Similar word(s): portion
Definition categories: man–made, object
3. a portion of a natural object
- they analyzed the river into three parts
Similar word(s): piece
4. that which concerns a person with regard to a particular role or situation
- it requires vigilance on our part
- they resisted every effort on his part
5. the extended spatial location of something
- religions in all parts of the world
Similar word(s): region
Definition categories: location
6. the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group
- the government must do its part
7. an actor's portrayal of someone in a play
- she played the part of Desdemona
8. assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group
9. one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole
- the written part of the exam
10. a line of scalp that can be seen when sections of hair are combed in opposite directions
- his part was right in the middle
Similar word(s): parting
11. the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music
- he tried to sing the tenor part
Similar word(s): voice
12. the effort contributed by a person in bringing about a result
13. an item that is an instance of some type
- my dog swallowed a Lego part
Similar word(s): piece
Definition categories: man–made, item
Sentences with part as a noun:
- Gaul is divided into three parts.
- The parts of a chainsaw include the chain, engine, and handle.
- I want my part of the bounty.
- The mixture comprises one part sodium hydroxide and ten parts water.
- Please turn to Part I, Chapter 2.
- 3 is a part of 12.
- to do one’s part
- We all have a part to play.
- The first violin part in this concerto is very challenging.
- The part of his hair was slightly to the left.
1. go one's own way; move apart
- The friends separated after the party
2. discontinue an association or relation; go different ways
- The business partners broke over a tax question
Definition categories: social
4. come apart
5. force, take, or pull apart
- Moses parted the Red Sea
Sentences with part as a verb:
- to part the curtains
- A rope parts. His hair parts in the middle.
- to part gold from silver