1. the general state of things; the combination of circumstances at a given time
- the present international situation is dangerous
- eternal truths will be neither true nor eternal unless they have fresh meaning for every new social situation
Definition categories: state
2. a condition or position in which you find yourself
- the unpleasant situation (or position) of having to choose between two evils
- found herself in a very fortunate situation
Similar word(s): position
3. a complex or critical or unusual difficulty
- the dangerous situation developed suddenly
- that's quite a situation
- no human situation is simple
4. physical position in relation to the surroundings
Similar word(s): site
5. a job in an organization
Sentences with situation as a noun:
- The Botanical Gardens are in a delightful situation on the river bank.
- The United States is in an awkward situation with debt default looming.
- Boss, we've got a situation here...