1. a surrounding or nearby region
- he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood
2. people living near one another
- it is a friendly neighborhood
- my neighborhood voted for Bush
Similar word(s): neighbourhood
3. the approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of')
- the price is in the neighborhood of $100
Similar word(s): region
Definition categories: quantity
4. an area within a city or town that has some distinctive features (especially one forming a community)
- an ethnic neighborhood
Sentences with neighborhood as a noun:
- Our neighborhood was our only reason to exchange hollow greetings.
- He lives in my neighborhood.
- The fire alarmed the neighborhood.
- We have just moved to a pleasant neighborhood.
- He must be making in the neighborhood of $200,000 per year.
- The slums and the palace were in awful neighborhood.