1. an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control:
- the range of a supersonic jet
- a piano has a greater range than the human voice
2. the limits within which something can be effective
- range of motion
Similar word(s): reach
3. a large tract of grassy open land on which livestock can graze
- they used to drive the cattle across the open range every spring
- he dreamed of a home on the range
4. a series of hills or mountains
- the valley was between two ranges of hills
- the plains lay just beyond the mountain range
Similar word(s): chain
5. a place for shooting (firing or driving) projectiles of various kinds
- the army maintains a missile range in the desert
- any good golf club will have a range where you can practice
6. a variety of different things or activities
- he answered a range of questions
- he was impressed by the range and diversity of the collection
7. (mathematics) the set of values of the dependent variable for which a function is defined
Similar word(s): image
8. the limit of capability
9. a kitchen appliance used for cooking food
Similar word(s): stove
Definition categories: man–made
Sentences with range as a noun:
- We sell a wide range of cars.
- We could see the ship at a range of five miles.
- One can use the speed of sound to estimate the range of a lightning flash.
- This missile's range is 500 kilometres.
- Jones has good range for a big man.
1. change or be different within limits
- Estimates for the losses in the earthquake range as high as $2 billion
- The instruments ranged from tuba to cymbals
- My students range from very bright to dull
Similar word(s): run
2. move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
3. have a range; be capable of projecting over a certain distance, as of a gun
- This gun ranges over two miles
Definition categories: stative
4. range or extend over; occupy a certain area
Similar word(s): straddle
5. lay out orderly or logically in a line or as if in a line
Similar word(s): array
6. feed as in a meadow or pasture
7. let eat
- range the animals in the prairie
8. assign a rank or rating to
Sentences with range as a verb:
- to range the fields
- The variable x ranges over all real values from 0 to 10.
- to range plants and animals in genera and species
- The front of a house ranges with the street.
- The peba ranges from Texas to Paraguay.
- to range the coast