1. the limits within which something can be effective
- he was beyond the reach of their fire
Similar word(s): range
2. an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control:
- outside the reach of the law
3. the act of physically reaching or thrusting out
4. the limit of capability
Sentences with reach as a noun:
- The fruit is beyond my reach.
- to be within reach of cannon shot
- To call George eloquent is certainly a reach.
1. reach a destination, either real or abstract
- The water reached the doorstep
Definition categories: motion
2. reach a point in time, or a certain state or level
- This car can reach a speed of 140 miles per hour
3. move forward or upward in order to touch; also in a metaphorical sense
- Government reaches out to the people
4. be in or establish communication with
- Our advertisements reach millions
Similar word(s): contact
5. to gain with effort
6. to extend as far as
- The sunlight reached the wall
- Can he reach?
Similar word(s): touch
7. reach a goal
Similar word(s): make
8. place into the hands or custody of
9. to exert much effort or energy
Sentences with reach as a verb:
- He reached for a weapon that was on the table.
- to reach one a book
- to reach an object with the hand, or with a spear;
- to reach an object with an arrow, a bullet, or a shell
- his hand reaches the river
- After three years, he reached the position of manager.
- Reach for your dreams.