1. take in solid food
- She was eating a banana
- What did you eat for dinner last night?
2. eat a meal; take a meal
- We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls
- I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation
3. take in food; used of animals only
- This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat
- What do whales eat?
Similar word(s): feed
4. worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way
- What's eating you?
5. use up (resources or materials)
6. cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid
Sentences with eat as a verb:
- He’s eating an apple. Don’t disturb me now; can't you see that I’m eating?
- What time do we eat this evening?
- The soup that eats like a meal.
- This project is eating up all the money.
- What’s eating you?
- It’s a special order, so we can’t send it back; if the customer won’t accept it, we’ll have to eat the forty tons of steel ourselves.
- The acid rain ate away the statue. The strong acid eats through the metal.