1. close interaction
- they kept in daily contact
- they claimed that they had been in contact with extraterrestrial beings
2. the act of touching physically
- her fingers came in contact with the light switch
3. the state or condition of touching or of being in immediate proximity
- litmus paper turns red on contact with an acid
4. the physical coming together of two or more things
- contact with the pier scraped paint from the hull
5. a person who is in a position to give you special assistance
- he used his business contacts to get an introduction to the governor
Similar word(s): middleman
6. a channel for communication between groups
7. (electronics) a junction where things (as two electrical conductors) touch or are in physical contact
- they forget to solder the contacts
Similar word(s): tangency
8. a communicative interaction
- the pilot made contact with the base
Similar word(s): touch
9. a thin curved glass or plastic lens designed to fit over the cornea in order to correct vision or to deliver medication
Sentences with contact as a noun:
- I haven't been in contact with her for years.
- Touch the contact to ground and read the number again.
- The salesperson had a whole binder full of contacts for potential clients.
- I bought myself a new contact ball last week
1. be in or establish communication with
- He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia
Similar word(s): reach
2. be in direct physical contact with; make contact
- The wire must not contact the metal cover
- The surfaces contact at this point
Definition categories: contact
Sentences with contact as a verb:
- The side of the car contacted the pedestrian.
- I am trying to contact my sister.