1. temporal sense; intermediate between past and future; now existing or happening or in consideration
- the present leader
- articles for present use
- the present topic
2. being or existing in a specified place
- the murderer is present in this room
- present at the wedding
- present at the creation
Sentences with present as an adjective:
- The barbaric practice continues to the present day.
- Is there a doctor present? Several people were present when the event took place.
- a present wit
- in the present study, the present article, the present results.
1. the period of time that is happening now; any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech
- that is enough for the present
- he lives in the present with no thought of tomorrow
Similar word(s): nowadays
Definition categories: time
2. something presented as a gift
- his tie was a present from his wife
3. a verb tense that expresses actions or states at the time of speaking
Sentences with present as a noun:
- to stand at present
1. give an exhibition of to an interested audience
2. bring forward and present to the mind
- We presented the arguments to him
- We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason
Similar word(s): represent
3. perform (a play), especially on a stage
Definition categories: creation
4. hand over formally
Similar word(s): submit
Similar word(s): pose
6. give, especially as an honor or reward
Similar word(s): award
7. give as a present; make a gift of
Definition categories: possession
8. deliver (a speech, oration, or idea)
- The commencement speaker presented a forceful speech that impressed the students
Similar word(s): deliver
9. cause to come to know personally
10. represent abstractly, for example in a painting, drawing, or sculpture
Similar word(s): portray
11. present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize
Definition categories: communication
12. formally present a debutante, a representative of a country, etc.
13. recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position
Similar word(s): salute
Sentences with present as a verb:
- to present an envoy to the king
- The theater is proud to present the Fearless Fliers.
- Well, one idea does present itself.
- The patient presented with insomnia.
- At that time, Elbe was presenting as a man.
- I was presenting as a boy / a girl / a man / a woman / (a) male / (a) female / masculine / feminine
- Anne Robinson presents "The Weakest Link".
- She was presented with an honorary degree for her services to entertainment.
- I presented my compliments to Lady Featherstoneshaw.