1. an act of honor or courteous recognition
- a musical salute to the composer on his birthday
Similar word(s): salutation
2. a formal military gesture of respect
3. an act of greeting with friendly words and gestures like bowing or lifting the hat
Sentences with salute as a noun:
- The soldiers greeted the dignitaries with a crisp salute.
- The orchestra performed the concert as a salute to Gershwin.
1. propose a toast to
2. greet in a friendly way
- I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me
3. express commendation of
- I salute your courage!
4. become noticeable
- a terrible stench saluted our nostrils
5. honor with a military ceremony, as when honoring dead soldiers
6. recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position
- When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute
Similar word(s): present
Sentences with salute as a verb:
- They saluted the flag as it passed in the parade.
- I would like to salute the many dedicated volunteers that make this project possible.
- I saluted Bill at the concert, but he didn't see me through the crowd.