1. a Swiss patriot who lived in the early 14th century and who was renowned for his skill as an archer; according to legend an Austrian governor compelled him to shoot an apple from his son's head with his crossbow (which he did successfully without mishap)
Definition categories: person
1. express in words
- tell me what is bothering you
2. let something be known
- Tell them that you will be late
3. narrate or give a detailed account of
- Tell what happened
4. give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority
5. discern or comprehend
- He could tell that she was unhappy
6. inform positively and with certainty and confidence
- I tell you that man is a crook!
Similar word(s): assure
7. give evidence
- he was telling on all his former colleague
Similar word(s): evidence
8. mark as different
Sentences with tell as a verb:
- All told, there were over a dozen. Can you tell time on a clock? He had untold wealth.
- I want to tell a story; I want to tell you a story.
- Finally, someone told him the truth. He seems to like to tell lies.
- Please tell me how to do it.
- Tell him to go away.
- Can you tell whether those flowers are real or silk, from this distance? No, there's no way to tell.
- Time will tell what became of him.
- Sir Gerald was moving slower; his wounds were beginning to tell.