1. relating to human society and its members
- social institutions
- social legislation
Similar word(s): societal
2. living together or enjoying life in communities or organized groups
- a human being is a social animal
- mature social behavior
3. relating to or belonging to or characteristic of high society
- made fun of her being so social and high-toned
- a social gossip colum
4. composed of sociable people or formed for the purpose of sociability
- a purely social club
- the church has a large social hall
- a social director
Similar word(s): sociable
5. tending to move or live together in groups or colonies of the same kind
- ants are social insects
Similar word(s): gregarious
6. marked by friendly companionship with others
- a social cup of coffee
Similar word(s): friendly
Sentences with social as an adjective:
- James is a very social guy; he knows lots of people.
- Teresa feels uncomfortable in certain social situations.
- Unemployment is a social problem.
- social gaming
- a social insect
1. a party of people assembled to promote sociability and communal activity
Sentences with social as a noun:
- They organized a social at the dance club to get people to know each other.
- Fred hated going down to the social to sign on.
- What's your social?