1. (obsolete, except in compounds) Divided; in part.
2. (heraldry) Parted or divided, as in the direction or form of one of the ordinaries.
- an escutcheon party per pale
1. (obsolete) Partly.
1. an organization to gain political power
- in 1992 Perot tried to organize a third party at the national level
2. a group of people gathered together for pleasure
- she joined the party after dinner
Definition categories: group
3. a band of people associated temporarily in some activity
- they organized a party to search for food
Similar word(s): company
4. an occasion on which people can assemble for social interaction and entertainment
- he planned a party to celebrate Bastille Day
5. a person involved in legal proceedings
- the party of the first part
Sentences with party as a noun:
- The contract requires that the party of the first part pay the fee.
- He is a queer party.
- I can't possibly be a party to that kind of reckless behaviour.
- The green party took 12% of the vote.
- The settlers were attacked early next morning by a scouting party.
- I'm throwing a huge party for my 21st birthday.
- We're expecting a large party from the London office.
- Tupperware party; lingerie party