1. informal terms for a difficult situation
- he got into a terrible fix
2. something craved, especially an intravenous injection of a narcotic drug
- she needed a fix of chocolate
Definition categories: act
3. the act of putting something in working order again
4. an exemption granted after influence (e.g., money) is brought to bear
- collusion resulted in tax fixes for gamblers
5. a determination of the place where something is
- he got a good fix on the target
Sentences with fix as a noun:
- That plumber's fix is much better than the first one's.
- It rained before we repaired the roof, and were we in a fix!
- We have a fix on your position.
1. restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken
2. cause to be firmly attached
- she fixed her gaze on the man
3. decide upon or fix definitely
- fix the variables
4. prepare for eating by applying heat
- fix breakfast for the guests, please
Definition categories: creation
5. take vengeance on or get even
- That'll fix him good!
Similar word(s): get
Definition categories: competition
6. set or place definitely
- Let's fix the date for the party!
7. kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for microscopic study
8. make fixed, stable or stationary
- let's fix the picture to the frame
Similar word(s): fixate
9. make infertile
10. influence an event or its outcome by illegal means
- fix a race
11. put (something somewhere) firmly
- fix your eyes on this spot
12. make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc
- I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill
Sentences with fix as a verb:
- He fixed me with a sickly grin, and said, "I told you it wouldn't work!"
- A dab of chewing gum will fix your note to the bulletin board.
- A leech can fix itself to your skin without you feeling it.
- She's fixed on the idea of becoming a doctor.
- That heater will start a fire if you don't fix it.
- She fixed dinner for the kids.
- A majority of voters believed the election was fixed in favor of the incumbent.
- Rover stopped digging under the fence after we had the vet fix him.
- He got caught breaking into lockers, so a couple of guys fixed him after work.