1. a power to affect persons or events especially power based on prestige etc
- used her parents' influence to get the job
2. causing something without any direct or apparent effort
3. a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do
- her wishes had a great influence on his thinking
4. the effect of one thing (or person) on another
- the influence of mechanical action
5. one having power to influence another
- she was the most important influence in my life
- he was a bad influence on the children
Sentences with influence as a noun:
- I have absolutely no influence over him.
- I'm not able to exercise influence over him.
- He has been a great influence on the voters during the elections.
1. have and exert influence or effect
- The artist's work influenced the young painter
Similar word(s): work
2. shape or influence; give direction to
3. induce into action by using one's charm
Sentences with influence as a verb:
- The politician wants to influence the public.
- I must admit that this book influenced my outlook on life.