1. the striking of one body against another
2. a forceful consequence; a strong effect
- the book had an important impact on my thinking
Similar word(s): wallop
3. influencing strongly
4. the violent interaction of individuals or groups entering into combat
Similar word(s): shock
Sentences with impact as a noun:
- The hatchet cut the wood on impact.
- His spine had an impingement; L4 and L5 made impact, which caused numbness in his leg.
- His friend's opinion had an impact on his decision.
- Our choice of concrete will have a tremendous impact on the building's mechanical performance.
1. press or wedge together; pack together
2. have an effect upon
Sentences with impact as a verb:
- If fecal incontinence is caused by impacted stool in the rectum, the impaction must be removed.
- I can make the changes, but it will impact the schedule.
- When the hammer impacts the nail, it bends.