1. events that provide the generative force that is the origin of something
- they are trying to determine the cause of the crash
2. a justification for something existing or happening
- he had no cause to complain
3. a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end
- they worked in the cause of world peace
4. any entity that produces an effect or is responsible for events or results
Definition categories: general
5. a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
Sentences with cause as a noun:
- Her wedding will be cause for celebration.
- They identified a burst pipe as the cause of the flooding.
1. give rise to; cause to happen or occur, not always intentionally
- cause a commotion
- cause an accident
2. cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner
Definition categories: communication
Sentences with cause as a verb:
- The lightning caused thunder.
- His dogged determination caused the fundraising to be successful.