1. earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
- made an effort to cover all the reading material
2. use of physical or mental energy; hard work
- he got an A for effort
3. a notable achievement
- the book was her finest effort
4. a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end
- contributed to the war effort
Sentences with effort as a noun:
- It took a lot of effort to find a decent-sized, fully-furnished apartment within walking distance of the office.
- Although he didn't win any medals, Johnson's effort at the Olympics won over many fans.
1. (uncommon, intransitive) To make an effort.
2. (obsolete, transitive) To stimulate.