1. dispose or incline or entice to
- We were tempted by the delicious-looking food
Similar word(s): allure
2. provoke someone to do something through (often false or exaggerated) promises or persuasion
- He lured me into temptation
3. give rise to a desire by being attractive or inviting
- the window displays tempted the shoppers
Similar word(s): invite
4. induce into action by using one's charm
5. try to seduce
6. try presumptuously
- St. Anthony was tempted in the desert
Sentences with tempt as a verb:
- She tempted me to eat the apple.
- Its glossy skin tempted me.
- It would be tempting fate.