1. (computing, programming) A kind of macro in source code that replaces one text string with another wherever it occurs.
1. determine the essential quality of
2. give a definition for the meaning of a word
- Define `sadness'
3. determine the nature of
- What defines a good wine?
4. show the form or outline of
- The tree was clearly defined by the light
- The camera could define the smallest object
Similar word(s): delineate
5. decide upon or fix definitely
Sentences with define as a verb:
- I define myself as a techno-anarchist.
- The textbook defined speed as velocity divided by time.
- to define the legal boundaries of a property