1. a licensed medical practitioner
- I felt so bad I went to see my doctor
Definition categories: person
2. (Roman Catholic Church) a title conferred on 33 saints who distinguished themselves through the orthodoxy of their theological teaching
- the Doctors of the Church greatly influenced Christian thought down to the late Middle Ages
3. children take the roles of physician or patient or nurse and pretend they are at the physician's office
- the children explored each other's bodies by playing the game of doctor
4. a person who holds Ph.D. degree (or the equivalent) from an academic institution
- she is a doctor of philosophy in physics
Sentences with doctor as a noun:
- If you still feel unwell tomorrow, see your doctor.
- the doctor of a calico-printing machine, which is a knife to remove superfluous colouring matter
- the doctor, or auxiliary engine, also called "donkey engine"
1. alter and make impure, as with the intention to deceive
Similar word(s): sophisticate
2. give medical treatment to
3. restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken
Sentences with doctor as a verb:
- Her children doctored her back to health.
- They doctored their apple trees by vigorous pruning, and now the dwarfed trees are easier to pick.
- We may legally doctor a pet to reduce its libido.
- Mendel's discoveries showed how the evolution of a species may be doctored.
- To doctor the signature of an instrument with intent to defraud is an example of forgery.