1. a written order directing a bank to pay money
- he paid all his bills by check
Similar word(s): cheque
2. an appraisal of the state of affairs
- a check on its dependability under stress
Similar word(s): assay
3. the bill in a restaurant
- he asked the waiter for the check
4. the state of inactivity following an interruption
- held them in check
5. additional proof that something that was believed (some fact or hypothesis or theory) is correct
6. the act of inspecting or verifying
- they made a check of their equipment
- the pilot ran through the check-out procedure
Similar word(s): checkout
7. a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc.
- as he called the role he put a check mark by each student's name
Similar word(s): tick
8. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
9. a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something
Similar word(s): chip
10. a textile pattern of squares or crossed lines (resembling a checkerboard)
- she wore a skirt with checks
Definition categories: man–made, weave
11. the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess
12. obstructing an opponent in ice hockey
13. (chess) a direct attack on an opponent's king
Definition categories: act
Sentences with check as a noun:
- I don't know if she will be there, but it's worth a check.
- checks and balances
- The castle moat should hold the enemy in check.
- Place a check by the things you have done.
- I was not carrying cash, so I wrote a check for the amount.
- I summoned the waiter, paid the check, and hurried to leave.
- The hockey player gave a good hard check to obtain the puck.
- a check given for baggage; a return check on a railroad
- The tablecloth had red and white checks.
1. examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition
- check the brakes
- Check out the engine
2. make an examination or investigation
- check into the rumor
- check the time of the class
3. be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something
4. lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits
5. stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution
- She checked for an instant and missed a step
6. put a check mark on or near or next to
- Please check each name on the list
7. slow the growth or development of
Similar word(s): delay
8. be verified or confirmed; pass inspection
- These stories don't check!
Definition categories: stative
9. be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
- The handwriting checks with the signature on the check
10. block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey
11. develop (a child's or animal's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control
12. consign for shipment on a vehicle
- check your luggage before boarding
13. hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping
- Check your coat at the door
14. abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey
15. stop in a chase especially when scent is lost
- The dog checked
16. mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on
17. decline to initiate betting
18. hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of
- Check the growth of communism in South East Asia
19. place into check
- He checked my kings
20. write out a check on a bank account
21. find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort
- Check whether the train leaves on time
Definition categories: communication
22. verify by consulting a source or authority
- check the spelling of this word
- check your facts
23. arrest the motion (of something) abruptly
- He checked the flow of water by shutting off the main valve
24. make cracks or chinks in
- The heat checked the paint
25. become fractured; break or crack on the surface only
Definition categories: change
Sentences with check as a verb:
- Check the oil in your car once a month.
- Check whether this page has a watermark.
- Check the correct answer to each question.
- Check your enthusiasm during a negotiation.
- Check your data against known values.
- Check your hat and coat at the door.
- Check your bags at the ticket counter before the flight.
- He checked the ball and then proceeded to perform a perfect layup.
- That basket doesn't count—you forgot to check!
- The hockey player checked the defenceman to obtain the puck.
- Tom didn't think he could win, so he checked.
- The sun checks timber.