1. a metallic tapping sound
- he counted the ticks of the clock
Similar word(s): ticking
2. any of two families of small parasitic arachnids with barbed proboscis; feed on blood of warm-blooded animals
3. a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc.
Similar word(s): check
4. a light mattress
Definition categories: man–made, mattress
Sentences with tick as a noun:
- The steady tick of the clock provided a comforting background for the conversation.
- At midday, the long bond is up a tick.
- I'll be back in a tick.
- Indicate that you are willing to receive marketing material by putting a tick in the box
1. make a clicking or ticking sound
- The clock ticked away
Similar word(s): click
2. make a sound like a clock or a timer
- the clocks were ticking
- tick a mattress
Similar word(s): retick
4. put a check mark on or near or next to
- tick off the items
Sentences with tick as a verb:
- He took the computer apart to see how it ticked.
- I wonder what makes her tick.