1. meeting adequate standards for a purpose
- a fit subject for discussion
- it is fit and proper that you be there
- water fit to drink
2. (usually followed by `to' or `for') ready for use or action.
- in no fit state to continue
- fit to drop
- laughing fit to burst
3. physically and mentally sound or healthy
- felt relaxed and fit after their holiday
- keeps fit with diet and exercise
Sentences with fit as an adjective:
- You have nothing to say about it. I'll do exactly as I see fit.
- survival of the fittest
- You don't have to be a good climber for Kilimanjaro, but you do have to be fit.
- I think the girl working in the office is fit.
1. a display of bad temper
- he had a fit
Definition categories: state
2. a sudden uncontrollable attack
- a fit of coughing
3. the manner in which something fits
- I admired the fit of her coat
4. a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason)
- a fit of housecleaning
Similar word(s): burst
Sentences with fit as a noun:
- This shirt is a bad fit.
- Since he put on weight, his jeans have been a tight fit.
- It's hard to get a good fit using second-hand parts.
- The Wonder Bread advertising research results showed the “White Picket Fence” commercial had strong fit ratings.
- My grandfather died after having a fit.
- He had a laughing fit which lasted more than ten minutes.
- She had a fit and had thrown all of his clothes out of the window.
- He threw a fit when his car broke down.
1. be agreeable or acceptable to
2. be the right size or shape; fit correctly or as desired
- This piece won't fit into the puzzle
Similar word(s): go
3. make fit
- fit a dress
- He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out
4. insert or adjust several objects or people
- Can you fit the toy into the box?
- This man can't fit himself into our work environment
5. be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
6. conform to some shape or size
- How does this shirt fit?
7. provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose
8. fill, satisfy or meet a want or need or condtion ro restriction
9. make correspond or harmonize
Similar word(s): match
Sentences with fit as a verb:
- It fits the purpose.
- The small shirt doesn't fit me, so I'll buy the medium size.
- If I lose a few kilos, the gorgeous wedding dress might fit me.
- I wanted to borrow my little sister's jeans, but they didn't fit.
- I want to fit the drapes to the windows.
- I had a suit fitted by the tailor.
- These definitions fit most of the usage.
- The regression program fit a line to the data.
- The chandler will fit us with provisions for a month.
- I'm fitting the ship for a summer sail home.
- The paint, the fabrics, the rugs all fit.