1. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
Similar word(s): balk, baulk, check, deterrent, handicap, hinderance, impediment
Definition categories: thought, difficulty
2. any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
Similar word(s): encumbrance, hinderance, hitch, incumbrance, interference, preventative, preventive
Definition categories: man–made, impediment, impedimenta, obstructer, obstruction, obstructor
3. the act of hindering or obstructing or impeding
Similar word(s): hinderance, interference
Definition categories: act, deed
Sentences with hindrance as a noun:
- High-heeled shoes may be fashionable, but they can also be a hindrance to walking.
- Your hindrance of this process will not be tolerated.