1. preventing, hindering, or acting as an obstacle.
Similar word(s): blockading, clogging, hindering, impeding, obstructive, deterrent, frustrating, frustrative, thwarting, precautional, precautionary, obviating, preclusive, preemptive, prohibitive, prohibitory, protective, preventive
2. preventing or contributing to the prevention of disease
1. remedy that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease
- the doctor recommended several preventatives
2. any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
3. an agent or device intended to prevent conception
Definition categories: man–made, device