1. a small fragment of something broken off from the whole
2. a triangular wooden float attached to the end of a log line
Definition categories: man–made, float
3. a piece of dried bovine dung
4. a thin crisp slice of potato fried in deep fat
Similar word(s): crisp
Definition categories: food
5. a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something
Similar word(s): check
6. a small disk-shaped counter used to represent money when gambling
Definition categories: man–made, counter
7. electronic equipment consisting of a small crystal of a silicon semiconductor fabricated to carry out a number of electronic functions in an integrated circuit
Similar word(s): microchip
Definition categories: man–made, semiconductor
8. (golf) a low running approach shot
9. the act of chipping something
Sentences with chip as a noun:
- This cup has a chip in it.
- Do you want sauce or mayonnaise on your chips?
- they made their own potato chips from scratch, he ate a tortilla chip, served with a side of apple chips
- chocolate chip
1. break off (a piece from a whole)
- Her tooth chipped
2. cut a nick into
Similar word(s): nick
3. play a chip shot
4. form by chipping
- They chipped their names in the stone
5. break a small piece off from
- chip the glass
- chip a tooth
Similar word(s): knap
Sentences with chip as a verb:
- The workers chipped the dead branches into mulch.
- Be careful not to chip the paint.
- This varnish chips easily.
- Everyone needs to chip in £1 for George's leaving collection