1. having the same quantity, value, or measure as another
- on equal terms
- all men are equal before the law
Similar word(s): commensurate, comparable, equivalent, tantamount, close, tight, coequal, coordinate, equidistant, equilateral, even, isochronal, isochronous, isoclinal, isoclinic, isometric, isometrical, isothermal, quits, level, tied, same
2. having the requisite qualities or resources to meet a task
- he was equal to the task
Sentences with equal as an adjective:
- Equal conditions should produce equal results.
- All men are created equal.
- All right angles are equal.
- This test is pretty tough, but I think I'm equal to it.
- an equal movement
1. a person who is of equal standing with another in a group
Sentences with equal as a noun:
- We're all equals here.
- This beer has no equal.
1. be identical or equivalent to
- One dollar equals 1,000 rubles these days!
Similar word(s): be
Definition categories: stative
2. be equal to in quality or ability
3. make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching
- let's equalize the duties among all employees in this office
Sentences with equal as a verb:
- Two plus two equals four.
- Losing this deal equals losing your job.
- Might does not equal right.