1. the immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life
Similar word(s): psyche
2. a human being
3. deep feeling or emotion
Similar word(s): soulfulness
Definition categories: feeling
4. the human embodiment of something
- the soul of honor
5. a secular form of gospel that was a major Black musical genre in the 1960s and 1970s
- soul was politically significant during the Civil Rights movement
Sentences with soul as a noun:
- Fifty souls were lost when the ship sank.
1. (obsolete, transitive) To endue with a soul; to furnish with a soul or mind.
2. (obsolete) To afford suitable sustenance.