1. occurring or appearing or singled out by chance
- a chance occurrence
1. a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
- now is your chance
Similar word(s): opportunity
2. an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another
- we ran into each other by pure chance
Definition categories: phenomenon
3. a risk involving danger
- you take a chance when you let her drive
4. a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible
- if that phone call is for me, chances are it's my wife
Similar word(s): probability
5. the possibility of future success
Similar word(s): prospect
Sentences with chance as a noun:
- We had the chance to meet the president last week.
- Why leave it to chance when a few simple steps will secure the desired outcome?
- There is a 30 percent chance of rain tomorrow.
1. be the case by chance
- I chanced to meet my old friend in the street
2. take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
3. come upon, as if by accident; meet with
- She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day
Definition categories: possession
Sentences with chance as a verb:
- It chanced that I found a solution the very next day.
- Shall we carry the umbrella, or chance a rainstorm?
- He chanced upon a kindly stranger who showed him the way.