1. earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
2. the act of attacking
- attacks on women increased last year
- they made an attempt on his life
Similar word(s): attack
Sentences with attempt as a noun:
- We made an attempt to cross the stream, but didn't manage.
- This poem is much better than the feeble attempt of mine.
- It was worth the attempt.
1. make an effort or attempt
- The police attempted to stop the thief
2. enter upon an activity or enterprise
Similar word(s): undertake
Sentences with attempt as a verb:
- I attempted to sing, but my throat was too hoarse.
- to attempt an escape from prison
- A group of 80 budding mountaineers attempted Kilimanjaro, but 30 of them didn't make it to the top.
- one who attempts the virtue of a woman
- to attempt the enemy's camp