1. (superlative of `good') having the most positive qualities
- the best film of the year
- the best solution
- the best time for planting
2. (comparative and superlative of `well') wiser or more advantageous and hence advisable
- the White House thought it best not to respond
Sentences with best as an adjective:
- I can either be your best friend or your worst enemy.
- Unpacking took the best part of a week.
1. in a most excellent way or manner
- he played best after a couple of martinis
2. it would be sensible
- you'd best stay at home
3. from a position of superiority or authority
- father knows best
Similar word(s): better
1. the supreme effort one can make
- they did their best
2. the person who is most outstanding or excellent; someone who tops all others
- he could beat the best of them
Similar word(s): topper
Sentences with best as a noun:
- I did my best.
- My personal best in that race is eighteen minutes, four seconds.