1. a playing card in the suit that has been declared trumps
- the ace of trumps is a sure winner
Definition categories: man–made
2. (card games) the suit that has been declared to rank above all other suits for the duration of the hand
- clubs were declared trumps
- a trump can take a trick even when a card of a different suit is led
Definition categories: man–made, suit
3. a brass musical instrument with a brilliant tone; has a narrow tube and a flared bell and is played by means of valves
Definition categories: man–made, brass
Sentences with trump as a noun:
- Diamonds were declared trumps.
- He played an even higher trump.
1. produce a sound as if from a trumpet
2. get the better of
3. play a trump
Similar word(s): ruff
4. proclaim or announce with or as if with a fanfare
Sentences with trump as a verb:
- He knew the hand was lost when his ace was trumped.
- In this election, it would seem issues of national security trumped economic issues.
- And without warning me, as he lay there, he suddenly trumped next to me in.