1. pass into or through, often by overcoming resistance
- The bullet penetrated her chest
Similar word(s): perforate
2. come to understand
3. become clear or enter one's consciousness or emotions
- she was penetrated with sorrow
Definition categories: cognition
4. enter a group or organization in order to spy on the members
Similar word(s): infiltrate
5. make one's way deeper into or through
- The hikers did not manage to penetrate the dense forest
6. insert the penis into the vagina or anus of
- Did the molester penetrate the child?
7. spread or diffuse through
- music penetrated the entire building
Sentences with penetrate as a verb:
- Light penetrates darkness.
- I could not penetrate Burke's opaque rhetoric.
- to penetrate one's heart with pity