1. to come or go into
- the boat entered an area of shallow marshes
Definition categories: motion
2. become a participant; be involved in
- enter a race
- enter an agreement
- enter a drug treatment program
Similar word(s): participate
Definition categories: competition
3. register formally as a participant or member
4. be or play a part of or in
Similar word(s): figure
5. make a record of; set down in permanent form
Similar word(s): record
6. come on stage
Definition categories: creation
7. take on duties or office
Similar word(s): accede
8. put or introduce into something
9. set out on (an enterprise or subject of study)
Similar word(s): embark
Sentences with enter as a verb:
- You should knock before you enter, unless you want to see me naked.
- to enter a knife into a piece of wood; to enter a boy at college, a horse for a race, etc.
- My twelve-year-old son will be entering his teens next year. She had planned to enter the legal profession.
- Enter your user name and password.
- entered according to act of Congress