1. anything (such as a document or a phonograph record or a photograph) providing permanent evidence of or information about past events
- the film provided a valuable record of stage techniques
2. sound recording consisting of a disk with a continuous groove; used to reproduce music by rotating while a phonograph needle tracks in the groove
Definition categories: man–made, audio
3. the number of wins versus losses and ties a team has had
- at 9-0 they have the best record in their league
4. the sum of recognized accomplishments
- the lawyer has a good record
- the track record shows that he will be a good president
5. a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone
- Al Smith used to say, `Let's look at the record'
- his name is in all the record books
Similar word(s): book
6. an extreme attainment; the best (or worst) performance ever attested (as in a sport)
- he tied the Olympic record
- coffee production last year broke all previous records
- Chicago set the homicide record
7. a document that can serve as legal evidence of a transaction
- they could find no record of the purchase
8. a list of crimes for which an accused person has been previously convicted
- he ruled that the criminal record of the defendant could not be disclosed to the court
- the prostitute had a record a mile long
Sentences with record as a noun:
- The person had a record of the interview so she could review her notes.
- The tourist's photographs and the tape of the police call provide a record of the crime.
- We have no record of you making this payment to us.
- I still like records better than CDs.
- The heat and humidity were both new records.
- The team set a new record for most points scored in a game.
1. make a record of; set down in permanent form
Similar word(s): enter
2. register electronically
- They recorded her singing
Similar word(s): tape
3. indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
4. be aware of
Similar word(s): register
Definition categories: perception
Sentences with record as a verb:
- I wanted to record every detail of what happened, for the benefit of future generations.
- Within a week they had recorded both the song and the video for it.
- When the deed was recorded, we officially owned the house.