1. Operable or accessible on deposit of coins.
- pay toilet
2. Pertaining to or requiring payment.
1. something that remunerates
- he wasted his pay on drink
Definition categories: possession
Sentences with pay as a noun:
- Many employers have rules designed to keep employees from comparing their pays.
1. give money, usually in exchange for goods or services
- Pay the waitress, please
Similar word(s): fund
2. convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow
- Don't pay him any mind
- pay attention
Similar word(s): give
3. cancel or discharge a debt
- pay up, please!
4. bring in
- How much does this savings certificate pay annually?
5. do or give something to somebody in return
- Does she pay you for the work you are doing?
Similar word(s): compensate
- pay attention to
7. be worth it
- It pays to go through the trouble
- pay a visit
- pay a call
9. bear (a cost or penalty), in recompense for some action
- You'll pay for this!
- She had to pay the penalty for speaking out rashly
- You'll pay for this opinion later
10. make a compensation for
11. discharge or settle
- pay a debt
- pay an obligation
Sentences with pay as a verb:
- she offered to pay the bill; he has paid his debt to society
- It didn't pay him to keep the store open any more.
- to pay attention
- crime doesn’t pay;