1. transmit information
- Please communicate this message to all employees
Similar word(s): pass
2. transmit thoughts or feelings
- He communicated his anxieties to the psychiatrist
Similar word(s): intercommunicate
3. transfer to another
- communicate a disease
4. join or connect
- The rooms communicated
5. be in verbal contact; interchange information or ideas
- He and his sons haven't communicated for years
- Do you communicate well with your advisor?
6. administer Communion; in church
7. receive Communion, in the Catholic church
Similar word(s): commune
Sentences with communicate as a verb:
- It is vital that I communicate this information to you.
- to communicate motion by means of a crank
- The disease was mainly communicated via rats and other vermin.
- We shall now consider those functions of intelligence which man communicates with the higher beasts.
- Many deaf people communicate with sign language.
- I feel I hardly know him; I just wish he'd communicate with me a little more.
- The living room communicates with the back garden by these French windows.