1. carry out or participate in an activity; be involved in
- They engaged in a discussion
2. consume all of one's attention or time
3. engage or hire for work
Definition categories: social
4. ask to represent; of legal counsel
5. give to in marriage
6. get caught
- make sure the gear is engaged
7. carry on (wars, battles, or campaigns)
Similar word(s): wage
8. hire for work or assistance
- engage aid, help, services, or support
Similar word(s): enlist
9. engage for service under a term of contract
10. keep engaged
- engaged the gears
Sentences with engage as a verb:
- They were engaged last month! They're planning to have the wedding next year.
- Whenever I engage the clutch, the car stalls out.
- The teeth of one cogwheel engage those of another.