1. a sense of concern with and curiosity about someone or something
- an interest in music
Similar word(s): involvement
2. a reason for wanting something done
- in the interest of safety
- in the common interest
Similar word(s): sake
3. the power of attracting or holding one's attention (because it is unusual or exciting etc.)
- they said nothing of great interest
- primary colors can add interest to a room
Similar word(s): interestingness
4. a fixed charge for borrowing money; usually a percentage of the amount borrowed
- how much interest do you pay on your mortgage?
Definition categories: possession
5. (law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something
- they have interests all over the world
Similar word(s): stake
6. (usually plural) a social group whose members control some field of activity and who have common aims
- the iron interests stepped up production
Definition categories: group
7. a diversion that occupies one's time and thoughts (usually pleasantly)
- he counts reading among his interests
Sentences with interest as a noun:
- Our bank offers borrowers an annual interest of 5%.
- He has a lot of interest in vintage cars.
- I have business interests in South Africa.
- Lexicography is one of my interests.
- Victorian furniture is an interest of mine.
- the iron interest; the cotton interest
1. excite the curiosity of; engage the interest of
2. be on the mind of
Definition categories: stative
3. be of importance or consequence
Sentences with interest as a verb:
- It might interest you to learn that others have already tried that approach.
- Action films don't really interest me.