1. call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
- evoke sympathy
2. evoke or provoke to appear or occur
Similar word(s): provoke
3. deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning)
4. summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic
5. call to mind
- this remark evoked sadness
Similar word(s): suggest
Sentences with evoke as a verb:
- Being here evokes long forgotten memories.
- Seeing this happen equally evokes fear and anger in me.
- The book evokes a detailed and lively picture of what life was like in the 19th century.