1. not tacit or implied
- her express wish
2. without unnecessary stops
- an express train
- an express shipment
Similar word(s): fast
Sentences with express as an adjective:
- I gave him express instructions not to begin until I arrived, but he ignored me.
- This book cannot be copied without the express permission of the publisher.
- In my eyes it bore a livelier image of the spirit, it seemed more express and single, than the imperfect and divided countenance.
1. by express
- please send the letter express
1. mail that is distributed by a rapid and efficient system
2. public transport consisting of a fast train or bus that makes only a few scheduled stops
- he caught the express to New York
Similar word(s): limited
Definition categories: man–made
3. rapid transport of goods
Similar word(s): expressage
Sentences with express as a noun:
- I took the express into town.
1. give expression to
2. articulate; either verbally or with a cry, shout, or noise
- She expressed her anger
Definition categories: communication
3. serve as a means for expressing something
4. indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.
- Can you express this distance in kilometers?
Similar word(s): state
5. manifest the effects of (a gene or genetic trait)
- Many of the laboratory animals express the trait
6. obtain from a substance, as by mechanical action
- Italians express coffee rather than filter it
Similar word(s): extract
7. send by rapid transport or special messenger service
- She expressed the letter to Florida
Sentences with express as a verb:
- Words cannot express the love I feel for him.