1. an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals)
- the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph
Definition categories: act
2. opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible feelings
- he was immobilized by conflict and indecision
3. a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
4. a state of opposition between persons or ideas or interests
- his conflict of interest made him ineligible for the post
- a conflict of loyalties
Definition categories: state
5. an incompatibility of dates or events
- he noticed a conflict in the dates of the two meetings
6. opposition in a work of drama or fiction between characters or forces (especially an opposition that motivates the development of the plot)
- this form of conflict is essential to Mann's writing
7. a disagreement or argument about something important
- the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats
Sentences with conflict as a noun:
- The conflict between the government and the rebels began three years ago.
- I wanted to attend the meeting but there's a conflict in my schedule that day.
1. be in conflict
- The two proposals conflict!
2. go against, as of rules and laws
- This behavior conflicts with our rules
Sentences with conflict as a verb:
- Your conference call conflicts with my older one: please reschedule.