1. the quality of being unlike or dissimilar
- there are many differences between jazz and rock
2. a variation that deviates from the standard or norm
3. a disagreement or argument about something important
- there were irreconcilable differences
4. a significant change
- the difference in her is amazing
- his support made a real difference
5. the number that remains after subtraction; the number that when added to the subtrahend gives the minuend
Similar word(s): remainder
Sentences with difference as a noun:
- You need to learn to be more tolerant of difference.
- There are three differences between these two pictures.
- We have our little differences, but we are firm friends.
- It just won't make much difference to me.
- It just won't make much of a difference to anyone.
1. (transitive) To distinguish or differentiate.